Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lomasi and her life

                

                  Dear Journal, June 28 1720

                          My name is Lomasi, which means beautiful flower in my language. My tribe is the Comanche tribe, in my tribe there are different chiefs for different things. My pa is the chief of war, and      my ma just cooks and cleans our wig-womb. My tribe is pretty small, there are only a few girls in the tribe but there is one girl my age named Lenmana, Lenmana means flute girl. I also have three sisters, one is Una that means remember, two is Catori that means spirit, and three is Elu and that means beautiful. 


                         My friend,Lenmana, and I do everything together. One time when we went swimming together, Lenmamna said that she saw a herd of buffalo! She followed where the buffalo had gone and I followed Lenmana. Apparently the buffalo herd was trying to run away from the solders, we practically got trampled on by the solders! From that trip I have learned to never, ever follow a buffalo herd. Another time was when we tried to act like men. Lenmana sewed together a piece of buffalo skin and made a hat to cover her long hair, she made me one exactly the same so we could be brothers. It was a really bad idea because the solders actually thought we were boys! They told us to get our gear on because one of the ladys spotted a buffalo herd, Lenmana and I did not know what to do so we said that we are scared to go and hunt. The solder looked at us very strangely( because in my tribe when you learn how to talk and walk you learn how to hunt) and left. from this day he always says "do I know you two from somewhere?" We always say "you must be mistaken."

                         
                           My three sisters are all older then me, exept Elu she is only one( I am ten.) Elu is soooooo annoying!!! All she ever does when Lenmana and I are playing she says" can I play too?" We say no and then ma comes over out of like nowhere and says that we have to play with her! I get really mad but do not say anything. My other sisters are no help at all either. Una is sixteen and the oldest   and she always brags about how she has a boyfriend and I do not, blah, blah , blah I dont even like boys. Catori is eleven and is always trying to help around our wig-womb. She says that if she wants to ever have a life she should start doing what woman should do, that is why my ma acts so nice around her and Elu. Catori and I used to play together when we were really little, now she acts totally different though, she acts like she knows everything, about everything! So as you can see my sisters are to "mature" to be nice, and to big of a cry baby.  
            
               Dear Journal, June 29 1720

                           Today Lenmana's younger brother was born!! Her family named him Lanhoe witch means so cute in my language. Lanhoe is the cutest little brother ever! He has beautiful dark green eyes like the steam of a flower when it is blossoming, and his hair is so dark that in the dark all you could see of him is his dark green eyes. When he was being born Lenmana's ma said he might not make it alive because he was born really late, my ma was saying that everything was going to be okay. While Lenmana's mom was giving birth Lenmana and I were asked to step outside. Lenmana is so happy to finally have a younger sibling, and I am happy for her.

                           Today something horrible happend too. While Lenmana's brother was being born my pa was at war (He usually is.) The spirits must have gotten really mad, because when the rest of the solders came back they were carrying my father on the back of a solder. My ma started to cry because she knows what happens if your husband dies, you get sent to the forest and die of starvation. It is a horrible thing to do but it is a tradition, there is a rule that if the woman does not find a husband in three days you must go to the forest, but if you do find a husband within those three days you get to stay. It is very unlikely that my ma will find someone within those three days so I started to cry to and the rest of my sisters( even Elu.) I really did not know what was going to happen to my ma and my sisters.

                       That night Lenmana and I went to our favorite place, the pond on the other side of the hill is what we called it. Lenmana and I usually went there only if something really bad or good has happend so we can talk it out. I was really scared, nervous, and hopeful at the same time about what had happend that day. Lenmana was really scared too, I was her only best friend and now she would have to deal with me dying? I think that that is to much to ask from Lenmana, so i have dicided that I am going to pray to the gods tomorrow night. The big deal of praying to the spirits is that you can only do it once in your life, and if you pray again you will be cursed forever. Lenmana and I talked for a very long time and made the choice that I will pray to the spirits tomorrow night, and so will Lenmana for extra help.  

               Dear Journal, June 30 1720   

                       I am really scared for tonight, what if my wish does not work? Today Lenmana and I are going to spend the entire day with each other. My ma is out searching for a man to marry, and my sisters are helping, exept for Elu she is playing with Lanhoe. That means that Lenmana and I have the entire day to our self!! Today we are just going to go to our favorite places and collect souvenirs, like a glowing white rock from the cave of glowing white stones. We also went to the little creek where we take our baths, we took an extra long bath so that no dirt or bugs would be on us. We started making our cloths for when we pray, so we look nice.

                        When I finished my dress I put the beads that my grandmother had when she was little like me. Lenmana said that I looked just like a beautiful flower, we laughed at that even though it was really hard to laugh. When Lenmana finished her dress she looked really pretty too. For the couple of hours remaining that we had left we told each other stories from when we first met. I remember that day so perfectly, I had just walked out of my wig-womb and so did Lenmana it was amazing how perfectly we walked out it was like we were connected by a force our something like that. We used to not know each others names, and then we started to talk and then we both new that we would be friends forever.

          

                                 
                                  When me and Lenmana went to pray we did, and we hoped that something good would happen. We went to our teepee'she and went to bed. In the morning it was time for my ma me and my sisters to go to the forest. The main chief leadd us to the forest and then Lenmana's ma came out of her teepee and said that she would adopt me and  my sisters! My ma said that we should go so we did. I was happy and sad. Happy that I would be living with my best friend and sad that my mom would leave.

                                       The End                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment